22 November 2013

A Month at Morrows…


We’ve recently welcomed a host of new faces to our team at Morrow Communications – new faces which we’ll be introducing over the next few weeks. Today we’re introducing you to two of our new PR Account Executives Suzie McDonald and Kerri Smith.


Suzie and Kerri were chosen to join our growing PR team after a competitive recruitment process and both bring something unique to our business. Here they give their highlights from their first month at Morrows…


Suzie McDonald


I joined the Morrow’s team mid-October on the back of their recent haul at the CIPR NI Pride Awards (an impressive 5 gold and 5 silver awards for those of you who don’t know!) and couldn’t be more excited to join the award-winning team.  My Sunday night previous to starting was of course riddled with the usual mixed emotions of excitement, nervousness and mild nausea (only joking!)  However, any negative emotions I had were quickly dispelled upon walking into the rather slick (purple) Morrow Communications offices situated in picturesque Holywood…

My next few weeks were jam-packed and fun-filled! I learnt a lot about the nuts and bolts of PR– the everyday tasks that make up the industry –news releases, photo calls, issuing, conference calls, tone, language, dealing with the media and clients, getting creative – the works.  The experienced team were my trusty guides for my journey and nothing was too much to ask.

Highlights for myself in the month have included working on the Age NI campaign with Flahavan’s Oats, ‘Like Your Grandparents Used to Make’,  where I worked on a photo call using an adorable 5 year old – who said you should never work with kids or animals? 

I also enjoyed travelling out to the sticks to search for gold!  Not entirely true unfortunately…it was for a picture for the ‘Tellus Border Project’ – who knew there was gold in Monaghan?  I also enjoyed the ‘Food and Drink Show NI’ where I was guided through Moy Park sampling and goodie bags, as well as witnessing the Events team host the highly successful ‘CIM Awards’ – phew I’m tired even just writing it!

I can honestly say I have loved my first month and it has made me even more passionate about the industry.  I cannot thank every single member of the Morrow’s team enough for making me feel so welcome and for being so friendly and always having an ear to listen or a helpful piece of advice to offer.  I can’t wait to get stuck in to even more client accounts, keep learning and continue on my Morrow’s journey…

Kerri Smith

It’s hard to believe I joined the Morrow’s team a month ago. I’ll admit I was a bit nervous the night before, so it was a relief when it took all of a few seconds to settle my nerves. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming to Suzie and I, and we began with a tour of the office - plus all the necessary housekeeping notes.  
Soon enough I was settled at my desk reading through information on clients whose teams I would be joining, trying to get to grips with all the technical terminology and recent activity. I’ve always been fond of jumping in at the deep end - which happens to be a useful personality trait in the communications world-  as before the first week was up I had phoned over a dozen different picture desks, learnt the basic break down of press advertising, I could also identify different varieties of grass seed and had spoken to quite a few local councils about the ‘Give an hour to nature’ campaign!

It’s only been month but I really enjoy getting up for work in the morning, I enjoy thinking about the possibilities that the day will bring and the variety of clients I will be working with. I’ve quickly bonded with the rest of the team with talk of entering the marathon relay and even a shared allotment that apparently is in need of a visit.

Overall, I have to say the thing I love most about working at Morrow’s is that no two clients are the same and no two days are the same – in the morning I can be proof reading a catalogue on different varieties of grass seed and by the afternoon I can be on the beach with a photographer capturing images of coastal walks to promote getting people outdoors and exploring nature!


No comments:

Post a Comment